Friday, January 24, 2014

Not a Review, Just A Confirmation: Beloved by Toni Morrison

BelovedBeloved by Toni Morrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's probably beyond ridiculous to "review" Beloved, but it's worth noting that this was an actually amazing book, not just a book that's supposed to be amazing. Throughout, I checked in with myself to make sure I was really enraptured by the book and not just blindly following the critical consensus. In the end, I'm certain that this is one of the best, most unsettling, most beautiful, saddest books I've ever read. I don't know why I've long been worried that it would be too difficult or too unpleasant to read; on the contrary, it was enormously enjoyable to read (although challenging) from beginning to end. Overall, I can't recommend it highly enough. Which...obviously comes as no surprise.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment